header

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tusken Raider

I got a few Star Wars miniatures on a pretty big clearance markdown just before Christmas and stuck 'em in this display cabinet that I have in my studio that, until now, has remained empty save for a few papo animal figures that I use as drawing reference.  This, plus starting to watch the Clone Wars cartoon series on DVD, has put me in a pretty Star Warsy mood.  So I figured that when I do my keep-in-shape drawings this week I'd do some Star Wars characters. Here's the first:


Sand People.  The worst.

7 comments:

Ben Towle said...

The coloring here looks really good. How are you getting those textural effects?

Chris Schweizer said...

Just a watercolor wash, multiplied over the colored file! I then tweaked the hue a little to look the way I wanted it, and lowered the layer opacity.

Unknown said...

Are you perhaps watching the excellent Genndy Tartakovsky series of the Clone Wars?

And that is indeed a great Tusken Raider too :)

Keenan said...

So when you color a drawing like this, do you add the paint before the inking?

Chris Schweizer said...

No, I've seen (and loved - best pacing ever) the Tartakovsky series, but I'm watching the CG Thunderbirds-style one. The stories are actually a lot of fun - I'm just glad that, unlike the Tartakovsky version, the voice actor playing Anakin makes no attempt to mimic Hayden Christianson's stilted, awkward delivery.

Chris Schweizer said...

Keenan,

No, I pretty much always do my inking first. Whether I'm coloring digitally or by hand, I find that trying to ink afterwards usually makes my drawings look like someone else did them - they change a lot, stylistically, from what I'd do were I to lay my ink down in the usual manner.

BTillustration said...

Love the neck!